This is just a short list of a few things I have found that (for me at least!) are helpful to remember and do when I am sitting down to write.
- If at all possible, turn off your internet. The internet is such a major distraction when you are trying to turn out the word count!
- And keep your smartphone far, far away. In fact, you could even have someone you know hid it from you for a while as long as they will remember where they put it!
- Alternately, you could use your smartphone as a timer. I do this. That way you can jerk yourself back to reality or remember that you had only planned to research the train routes in World War I France for so long! 🙂
- Write in short bursts and chunks.
- Write consistently if at all possible. Writing a book is all about discipline, perseverance and putting in the time.
- Edit as you go if you must! I have to personally because I am always thinking of something new to add, but do remember that it is your first draft!
- Be yourself in your writing. Write from your heart and don’t try to copy someone else.
- Music is a great help to get your creative brain going especially if you have hit a rough writing patch.
- Tea helps too!
- And remember to give yourself time, grace and be patient with your story! Writing is an art that takes a process to learn.
How about you? Do you have any tips for making your writing time easier? I would love to hear them!